What is the GST registration?
In this article, we will discuss the steps by step procedure of GST Registration. In the GST Regime, businesses having turnover more than Rs. 40 lakhs in a financial year (Rs 10 lakhs for NE and hill states) are required to register under GST as a normal taxable person. This process of registration is called GST registration.
For specified businesses, registration under GST is compulsory. If the organization carries on business without registering under GST, it will be an offense under GST and hefty penalties will apply.
What is GSTIN?
Goods & Service Tax Identification Number or GSTIN is 15 Digit unique GST identification number which is assigned to each applicant who applied for GST Registration. It is similar to the Tax Identification Number (TIN) that is allotted to business organizations under VAT Laws. GSTIN consists of PAN, entity code and State code. The first two digits represent the state code and the next 10 digits represent the PAN of the client, The 13th digit gets assigned based on the number of registrations within a state, 14th digit is by default and the last one represents check digit.
Who Should Register for GST?
- Businesses having turnover more than the threshold limit of Rs. 40 Lakhs (Rs. 20 Lakhs for North-Eastern States, J&K, Himachal Pradesh, and Uttarakhand)
- Casual taxable person (CTP)
- Non-Resident taxable person (NRTP)
- Input service distributor(ISD)
- Those paying tax under the Reverse Charge Mechanism (RCM)
- The person who supplies via e-commerce operator
- Every e-commerce operator
- Person supplying online information and database access or retrieval services (OIDRS) from a place outside India to a person in India, other than a registered taxable person, etc.
Step by Step Guide for GST Registration
Part A of GST Registration
- Step 1 – First of all you need to visit on GST Portal By Using the link https://www.gst.gov.in/
- Step 2 – After that “Click the Services tab > Registration > New Registration.
- Step 3 – The Application Form is divided into two parts as Part A and Part B.
- Step 4 – In Part A – The New Registration page is displayed. Select the New Registration option.
- Step 5 – From the dropdown list, select the type of taxpayer to be registered, also selects the state for which registration is required and district.
- Step 6 – Enter your Legal Name as per PAN.
- Step 7 – Enter your Email Address and Mobile Number of the Primary Authorized Signatory.
- Step 8 – Enter the captcha text and Click on Proceed.
- Step 9 – Enter the OTP received on mobile and email and press the Submit button.
- Step 10 –The system generated Temporary Reference Number (TRN) is displayed on your screen. You will also receive the TRN on your registered email and mobile number.
Part B of GST Registration
- Step 11 – After that log in using “Temporary Reference Number” and Captcha Code.
- Step 12 –The My Saved Application page is displayed. Under the Action column, click the Edit icon.
- Step 13 –The Registration Application form with various tabs is displayed.
- Step 14 – On the top of the page, there are ten tabs as Business Details, Promoter/ Partners, Authorized Signatory, Authorized Representative, Principal Place of Business, Additional Places of Business, Goods and Services, Bank Accounts, State Specific Information, and Verification. Click each tab to enter the details and upload the documents required.
- Step 15 – After filling the form verify the details and submit the form using Digital Signature Certificate or OTP.
Note: After successful submission, you will get the GSTIN in 3 working days.
Documents Required for GST Registration
- PAN of the Applicant.
- Aadhar Card of the Applicant – For Individual.
- Address Proof of the place of business
- Proof of Business Registration or Incorporation Certificate
- Digital Signature (Mandatory for LLP and Company form of Business)
- Identity or address proof of the Promoter/Director/Proprietor/Karta/Partner along with the recent photographs.
- Letter of Authorization/Board Resolution for Authorized Signatory
- Bank Statement/ Cancelled Cheque