TAN stands for Tax Deduction and Collection Account Number. It is a unique 10 digit alphanumeric number, the first four being alphabets followed by five numbers and ending with one alphabet allotted by the Income Tax Department of India.
Who needs to apply for TAN?
Every person who is liable to collect or deduct tax at the source is required to obtain the TAN. It is mandatory to provide the TAN in TDS/TCS return as well as in TDS/TCS payment challan and TDS/TCS certificates.
How to apply TAN online using DSC?
The application for TAN has to be filed in form 49B. It can be filed online with DSC by following the below-mentioned steps:
- Visit https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/tan/
- Click on ‘Online Application for TAN (Form 49B)’ and then click on ‘Apply Online.
- Scroll down to ‘Apply for New TAN (for DSC Users)’
- Download the NSDL Utility, install and run it on the computer system.
- Choose the appropriate category of deductors from the drop-down menu and then click on ‘Select’.
- The Applicant will be redirected to Form 49B.
- Fill out the requisite and mandatory details on the form and then click on ‘Submit’.
- If the details filled by the applicant fail at the validation level, a response indicating rectifying the errors will appear on the screen.
- Rectify the errors and then submit the form.
- If errors do not exist, a confirmation screen with data filled by the applicant will be displayed.
- In case the applicant requires to make any changes in the application filled, he can choose it by selecting the ‘Edit’ option.
- Scroll down to enter the captcha and ‘Confirm’ the application if the displayed information is correct.
- Insert the DSC of the authorized signatory and add the digital signature on the form.
- Submit the final application using DSC and pay the required fees.
- On successful payment of fees, an acknowledgment receipt having the 14-digit acknowledgment number is generated.
- For DSC-based TAN applications, the applicant is not required to send any document to NSDL e-Gov website.
- The acknowledgment number can be used to track the TAN Application status.